Friday, May 4, 2018

Is Philosophical Curiosity a Curse?

Among my earliest memories, is that I was plagued by questions that no one else seemed to ask.  At about age four or five, I clearly remember looking at a wall clock, analog, and contemplating the passage of time.  The red hand, which marks seconds, was on the ten, moving toward the twelve.  I remember thinking to myself, the twelve is in the future.  Then, as the second hand reached the twelve, I said, the twelve is in the present.  But just as I said that, I then said, the twelve is in the past, and it will never again be in the present or future.  I wondered about this.  I still do.
 
When I learned about atoms and electrons, I was told that all electrons are exactly alike.  They have the same mass and charge, with no variation.  I asked, then how can you say that electrons are different from each other?  If two things are alike in every way, then they have the same identity.  The very word, “identical,” refers to identity, and therefore all electrons must be the same electron, and an electron can be in more than one place at the same time—whatever time is.
 
As you can see, from a very early age I was already in over my head.  Worse yet, not being an Einstein, my average intellect imposed strict limits on how far my musings could go.

When I first encountered Hinduism / Buddhism, one of the first concepts I found was that of the unknowable essence, about which nothing can be said.  It is not here, but it is not elsewhere.  It is untrue to say either of these things about essence.  Nor can one say both of these are true, nor can one say that neither of these are true, nor can one say that they are true and not true.  No matter what one says about the essence, it is not true, not even this.

I began writing down my reflections and contemplations in a diary.  One of my relatives found the diary and gave it to my parents, with the advice that they should seek a psychiatrist for me, since I was clearly crazy.
 
Eventually I did find people with whom I could discuss such matters.  Some very long-lasting friendships developed, but after some years, we lost contact.  Then, recently, I re-encountered one of my old friends, and I hoped to resume some of our “weighty” discussions.  To my dismay, he told me that he was no longer interested.  When, in disbelief I asked why, he insisted that I not ask, and so of course I abandoned my hope of rekindling our talks.
 
More commonly, I frequently find that most people seem to be utterly disinterested in discussing anything beyond what they deem to be the immediate, practical concerns of everyday life.  They may momentarily show some slight interest, but basically, they want to know how such a discussion will help them make more money, or whatever.
 
One person said to me, okay, so when you discover the ultimate truth, what good will it do you?  You still have to eat.
 
Another said, so if I sacrifice my life to save all of humanity, what good will it do me?  I’ll be dead.
 
Another said, okay, so eventually we all die, but while I’m alive, I’m going to have as much fun as I can.
 
To be honest, there were times when I envied such people.  How nice it is not to wonder what consciousness is, what is the smallest particle of space, what is the largest finite number?
 
But I have come to the conclusion that, for some of us, it is in our DNA to ask, to wonder, to struggle to better understand, even if we know we can never understand it all.
 
I don’t wish to understand it all.  I just wish to understand enough, just enough, so that while I still have curiosity, I no longer strain to find the answers to the unanswerable.
 
Just enough food, just enough water and air, love, knowledge—but not more than that.

-

-

-

No comments:

Post a Comment