Sunday, March 24, 2019

Matter and Consciousness


I have not finished reading the article, but my assessment so far is that
it is indeed interesting, both for its strengths and for its weaknesses.
Indeed, it is generating so many branches of thought that I think I shall compose a
separate thread.
Before I do so, I should like to point out that the "hard problem" of consciousness
may be an inherently unsolvable problem for a simple reason:
The eye cannot see itself.
 
Yes, the analogy is not perfect, because the eye does not actually see anything,
but the point made by the adage is spot on correct.
My pseudo-definition of consciousness is, consciousness is that which
knows that it is conscious.  Yes, a circular definition, but with axioms, such is always the case.
More than that, I think we can never know.
We can know things ABOUT consciousness, but not what it is.

One more thing:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=the%20nine%20billion%20names%20of%20god&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=the%20nine%20billion%20names%20of%20god&sc=10-29&sk=&cvid=8D94B09904944F018E34A847E6865FFC

The Nine Billion Names of God is a science fiction classic,
in which the theme is that, once all the basic elements of truth are known,
there is no further reality.

 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment